Sunday, September 28, 2008

Yesterday i walked down the memmory lane...

"Bhaiya you did not come"Boogie started sobbing on the other side of the phone . His two fast inspirations followed by one loud expiratory sob pierced right through my heart ."Don`t worry freind i will surely reach there by tomorrow evening"."Hmm hmm hmmmm" now the sobs were mollifying in to jerky humms which were telling that Boogie believed what i said.I had promised Boogie that I would come to him to Dehradun as soon as i was back from my trip but i got a day late.Well not keeping a promise was one of the things which G.G.B.M.club despised greatly.
Well let me specify that Boogie is my 8 year old cousin who also happens to be one of my best freinds.Freinds ?? Yeah ryt freinds , I seriously consider him more of a freind than my lill cousin .Why should i not? I love spending time with him and most of his favourite hobbies ae mine too. Just last month we officially named our club."G.G.B.M. club". Here last two letters B and M stand for Boogie and Madhur respectively. G and G are Goku and Gohan ....the father and son duo from cartoon series 'Dragonballz'. I was not in favour of their admission in to our club but Boogie convinced me that with superpowers they possess ,someday in time of need they might come handy.We took the oath over a Dragonballz Tazzo (which came as a complimentary gift in a chips packet) .After the oath of secrecy and faithfullness the tazzo was burried in the backyard of my house and thus G.G.B.M. Club was born.I cant tell u about our secret slogan cos that is a secret which i have promised to take to my grave. Members of our club do not fail the promises, so i had to leave the next evening.
Next evevning when Dad noticed me copying some cartoons which i had stored on his laptop "What happened to your laptop he asked"? "well i had stored some things fr boogie on urs , as i have to go to Doon fr some important wrk i thought i might take them as well".i sheepishly replied (How on earth was I supposed to make him understand GGBM and its emergency call). So with just my laptop bag with a pair of extra shorts and a T shirt i hit my car and stepped the accelerator towards Doon .
The Rishikesh- Doon road stretch had been my fav since i was a kid . I love driving on this road . The 45 minutes journey never seemed more than a few minutes to me.This is one stretch on which i like to put some nice serene music in the car instead of adrenaline spitting rock. On reaching Dharampur chowk I called up Parth and told him that i was in town and he better get ready cos we were having dinner outside. I picked up Parth from his place and then we straightaway went to Boogie`s place. U shudve seen that ear to ear smile on Boogies face when he saw his fellow gangmember - me. Kicking him in the butt I told him to put on some clothes .With in a minute he was draped in his trademark three quarters and striped t shirt. After jumping in the car it was decided that we first raid a momo stall and then have some nice dinner at a restaurant and after that some ice cream or dessert at any latenight icecream parlour. After a drive of fifteen minutes we saw this mommo wallah which Parth had already praised a lot . He did not have much place to sit though . Two sardaars were occupying the only bench and by the look u cud tell that they were nt leaving any time near fr sure. So we took our plates inside the car instead. The momos were a lill undercooked but the soup was awesome. After finsihing our appetizer we hit a restaurant at Rajpur road . And then came my favourite part. handling the menu card to boogie. If u have seen booogie you can tell by his cute fat cheeks that how big a foodie he is.And my,my ,!!! i wud give an arm just to see that confused look on his face whenever i ask him to order whatever he wants.It is not what to order that confuses him but what not to order? He he so after enjoining his predicament fr five minutes I handed over the menu card to parth and he zeroed down to Paneer Pasanda and Khumb Awadhi. I insisted on plane naan cos i had been neglecting my workout a lot fr these past few days. After a hearty meal as I was about to leave i got a call from a very dear freind from lucknow who was having some serious trouble with some not so nice people on matters of land and property. That got me really worried about his safety.All the while on our way back home i my thoughts could not stray away from him .
Next morning his call woke me up and he told me that shit has really struck the fan .There were some real criminal getting involved. I told him nt to worry and promised him to do whatever i cud . I called up a close contact who is a close realative of a minister who holds a very hefty position in the ruling government.After impressing upon him the gravity of the situation and getting his reassurance I was relieved.

Now since boogie and parth already had their studies i thought of walking down the memmory lane of my days spent in doon . Leaving my car at Rohans for servicing i took parth's DTSI bike and started fr those long frgotten places alone. Einstein once said "There are only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is".Today i was willing to use the latter as my glasses.First and foremost i stepped on the gas to my way to 'Clement town'. It was here under the Buddha satue that some very relaxing evenings of my childhood had spent. Then i turned my bike and started fr the other extreme of the city,towards Mussourie road.It was nice riding a bike after a long time.I remembered gunning my double silencer 350 cc massive engine,a pickup of 5 ...my YAMAHA 350 which a few years back was my companion on these roads. After crossing Rajpur Road my heart started sinking by a fractions . I remembered how on this road i used to frequent with my pals . I dont think those days will ever come not because we dont have free time , but cos we seldome have free time together. So I picked up the beaten path of Old Mussourie Road which is nowa days seldome frequented cos of the New Mussourie Road. I went straightaway to the site where our new cottage was coming up. There under a Bouganvillia bough,I sat and stared away my time watching lovely green hillocks facing me, hearing the russle of the leaves, in silence .....hours passed by and i realised that this interview with myself had taken quite a long time. I began riding down the hill with the silent promise to these abandoned road .....to visit it again soon ....cos somehow i felt it missed me exactly like i missed it ........

Madhur Uniyal

No comments: